Date:      Wed, 30 Apr 1997 13:55:43 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        paradox@pegasus.rutgers.edu (Red Barchetta)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux squake bombs under FreeBSD

Red Barchetta stands accused of saying:
> I recently tried running Dave "Zoid" Kirsch's recently-released 'squake'
> version of id Software's Quake.  This version is supposed to add
> high-res video modes and (finally!) mouse support within the game.
> While older versions of Linux Quake will run under FreeBSD 2.2 (albeit
> with no sound-- all versions complain about the sound driver being too
> old),

With a recent fix to the Linux emulator, quake should work with the OSS
beta code.  I'm not sure just how unstable it actually is.

> Sound Initialization
> LINUX: 'ioctl' fd=6, typ=0x450(P), num=0xf not implemented

That's SNDCTL_DSP_SETTRIGGER/GETTRIGGER; courtesy of the older Voxware
code in the FreeBSD sound driver.

> svgalib: Configuration file /etc/vga/libvga.config not found.
> svgalib: Assuming Microsoft mouse.
> svgalib: Assuming low end SVGA/8514 monitor (35.5 KHz).
> LINUX: 'ioctl' fd=7, typ=0x56(V), num=0x1 not implemented

That's VT_GETMODE.  You are trying to use an SVGALIB executable.

> Requirements:
>
> - SVGALib 1.20 or later (/lib/libvga.so.1.2.10)

Yup.  SVGALIB stuff is not supported by the emulator.  If you have some
time and energy, this would probably be a worthwhile project.