Date:      Tue, 21 Aug 2007 21:22:31 GMT
From:      David EVans <d@AndD.org>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/115695: When "device padlock" defined first ssh to machine gives "Disconnecting: Bad packet length".

>Number:         115695
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       When "device padlock" defined first ssh to machine gives "Disconnecting: Bad packet length".
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
FreeBSD router.aandd.org 6.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE #9: Tue Aug 21 20:21:09 PDT 2007     root@router.aandd.org:/var/usr/obj/var/usr/src/sys/ROUTER  i386
On a Jetway J7F2WE-1G5 (this uses the Via C7 CPU).

When I add:

device      padlock
device      crypto
device      cryptodev

to the kernel and reboot with a new kernel the first connection results in a disconnect after the password is entered. The message is similar to:

Disconnecting: Bad packet length 191787477

with different values after each reboot for the length.
All subsequent SSH connections work. ssh'ing out has no problems.

Since this is a home router I'm building I can run any tests or rebuild things as needed if anybody lets me know what I should look for.
>How-To-Repeat:
No idea if you don't have the same motherboard.
>Fix:
Remove the three device entries from the kernel, rebuild and install the kernel without the devices.