Date:      Sat, 28 Feb 2009 21:52:31 -0900
From:      Beech Rintoul <beech@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com>
Subject:   Re: Dead projects in ports tree

On Saturday 28 February 2009 17:33:17 Robert Huff wrote:
> perryh@pluto.rain.com writes:
> >  > multimedia/openquicktime - no movement in CVS / SVN for 1+ years;
> >  > no releases in the past 3 years
> >
> >  This strikes me as slim evidence on which to seek a death sentence :)
> >
> >  While I can't testify to the usefulness of this particular port,
> >  the fact that something has not changed in a long time could just
> >  as well mean that it does its job well -- and thus does not need
> >  to be updated -- as that it is no longer useful.
>
> 	Are there criteria - or even guidelines - for when a port
> should be reaped?

Sure, if the port has been broken for more than 6 months, it's abandoned
(website is gone and port isn't fetchable from outside mirrors) or it's been
replaced.

Beech
Beech Rintoul - FreeBSD Developer - beech@FreeBSD.org
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | FreeBSD Since 4.x
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail   | http://people.freebsd.org/~beech
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Skype: akbeech
/ \  - http://www.FreeBSD.org/releases/7.1R/announce.html