Date:      Mon, 7 Dec 2015 19:12:24 -0600
From:      John Aten <welcome.to.eye.o.rama@gmail.com>
To:        Brandon J. Wandersee <brandon.wandersee@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Migrating to FreeBSD from Debian

On Dec 7, 2015, at 2:49 PM, Brandon J. Wandersee wrote:

>=20
> Paul Stuffins writes:
>=20
>> Hi Everybody,
>> As 2016 is fast approaching I want to finally move to FreeBSD and =
stay with
>> FreeBSD, so my question is, what is the best or most efficient way of
>> upgrading all ports on a FreeBSD machine?
>=20
>=20
> Right, so since this kinda derailed quickly, I'll try to answer this
> clearly and comprehensively. I moved from Arch Linux to FreeBSD myself
> just over a year ago, so I'll try to iron some things out for you, =
since
> it took me some time to sort all this out myself and I sympathize.
>=20
> The package package manager isn't drastically different from pacman or
> dpkg/apt, so you should find understanding it pretty easy. Just read =
the
> man pages and the relevant section of the Handbook for the
> basics. Beyond that, though, there are some characteristics of the
> packages and repository that need to be understood. First, in almost
> every case a single port is built into a single package with a fairly
> sane set of default options. Even in cases where multiple versions of =
an
> application exist--such as Emacs--there is a corresponding port with a
> different set of options. So if you're lucky, you'll be able to use
> packages for everything you need. If there's any application built
> without an option you want, you'll have to build it from the ports =
tree.
>=20
> This raises some caveats. For one thing, while packages are built and
> the repository updated several times a week (up from just two or three
> times a week when I first started--great work, folks), as of now it's
> not a continuous process. This means the ports tree (which works by a
> rolling-release model) is always a few hours to a couple days ahead of
> what you'll find in the repository, raising the possibility of
> dependency conflicts if you mix ports with precompiled packages. For
> another, if you try upgrading your binary packages using `pkg update =
&&
> pkg upgrade`, pkg(8) will also replace your personally compiled ports
> with the most recent default versions found in the package repository.
>=20
> There are two ways to avoid these issues. If you just have, say, two =
or
> three ports to manage, you can use pkg-lock(8) to prevent pkg(8) from
> messing with your ports. You can then upgrade your packages as usual,
> and then use ports-mgmt/portmaster or ports-mgmt/portupgrade to =
upgrade
> your ports afterward. This can be a little tedious, as (a) you'd need =
> [...]

I am coming from Debian also, and I was initially intimidated by ports. =
I still am, but I the more I think about it, the more I favor the idea =
of ports over packages. One source of confusion is the all the options =
one is faced with when installing from ports; I don't know exactly where =
to look for documentation on what would be better/worse to select and =
why. Is this a matter of checking with the documentation of the program =
to be installed? Or is there FreeBSD specific information on this =
somewhere?=