Date:      Sun, 1 Nov 1998 17:31:02 +0100
From:      "Jonas Ericson" <dow489o@tninet.se>
To:        <aaron@csh.rit.edu>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   SV: User PPP and Packetfiltering

-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Från: Aaron Jeremias Luz <aaron@csh.rit.edu>
Till: Jonas Ericson <dow489o@tninet.se>
Kopia: questions@FreeBSD.ORG <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Datum: den 30 oktober 1998 01:54
Ämne: Re: User PPP and Packetfiltering

On Tue, Oct 27, 1998 at 04:54:17PM +0100, Jonas Ericson wrote:
> Hi!
> I have a question about packet filtering!
> I use the 2.2.7 realese. I use my box as a Samba server aswell as a
Gateway
> for my win95
> machines (with user ppp ). Now for the question: When i want to access the
> Samba server from
> a win95 machine the -auto switch trigger the modem to dial and itīs
nothing
> strange about that!
> but i donīt want it to be triggered when i want to connect to a
Sambashare,
> only when i want to
> access the internet via http(80). I have tried to understand the syntax
from
> the man ppp but have
> not succeded.
> Many Thanks!
>

> J.B.Ericson
> dow486o@tninet.se

I think you'll find that DNS lookups are being made on the
SMB name of your Win95 machine, so a simple filtering approach
won't work.  Try defining REDUCE_ROOT_DNS_LOOKUPS when you build
Samba.  That did the trick for me when I was installing Samba on
a 2.2.5R machine which also ran "ppp -auto -alias" for a number of
Windows 95 machines.  Here's the patch I used for the port of Samba
1.9.17p2 on FreeBSD 2.2.5R.

*** Makefile.orig       Thu Jul  2 13:32:24 1998
--- Makefile    Thu Jul  2 13:32:38 1998
***************
*** 385,391 ****

  # This is for FreeBSD
  # contributed by kuku@acds.physik.rwth-aachen.de
! FLAGSM = -DFreeBSD -DFAST_SHARE_MODES
  LIBSM = -lcrypt

--- 385,391 ----

  # This is for FreeBSD
  # contributed by kuku@acds.physik.rwth-aachen.de
! FLAGSM = -DFreeBSD -DFAST_SHARE_MODES -DREDUCE_ROOT_DNS_LOOKUPS
  LIBSM = -lcrypt

Good luck,
Aaron

Hi Aaron !
First of all i will thank you for your answer!
I'm very sorry for bothering you whith questions you might think is trivial.
I have tried to build 1.9.17p2 like you said with
the -DREDUCE_ROOT_DNS_LOOKUPS
  LIBSM = -lcrypt defenition, but itīs still the same result, i think?
Please could you get a litle
 more specific about your configuration! When i log tcp/ip in ppp, i can see
that the win95 box
sends DNS lookups packets wich not corresponds to the DNS port 53, why? they
come in the
range of 1025-1048 or something like that. Why do win95 use diffrent ports
for the same service?
 So this is a paradox for me, as you said packet filtering isnīt the answer
because you never know
what port the DNS lookups arrives at. Am i right?

Many thanks
Jonas