Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 1995 10:28:15 -0500
From:      Jerry Alexandratos <alexandr@louie.udel.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help!!!!

Okay, this is getting out of hand!  Lately I've been having all types
of problems with my file-system.  It's been getting corrupted and I've
been losing files like mad.  This morning was the last straw!  Half of
/etc is missing.  I reboot my machine and it calls itself `Amnesiac'
because it can't find any of it's rc files.  I can't even fsck because
most of /sbin is gone too (or is it /usr/sbin...).

It's too late.  I'm just going to back up all my configuration files
that haven't disappeared yet, and start from scratch.

So, my question is what can I do during fdisk, label, etc... to make
sure that I don't have these types of problems again.

I'm using a Gateway 2000 p5-75.  It's got a built-in PCI IDE harddisk
controller.  The hard drive is a WD Caviar AC21000 drive.  It's a 1G
drive with the following parameters:

      Cyl-2100  Heads-16  Sectors-63 LZ-0  Write Precomp-None

So, where should I begin.  Is there any file-system that I should
specifically be using or are there any newfs options that I need to
give when I use the disklabel program?

As always, thanks.

        --Jerry

8) Jerry Alexandratos          % - %   "Nothing inhabits my    (8
8) alexandr@louie.udel.edu     % - %    thoughts, and oblivion (8
8) darkstar@strauss.udel.edu   % - %    drives my desires."    (8