Date:      Sat, 9 Jun 2001 16:15:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jim Freeze <jim@freeze.org>
To:        David Leimbach <dleimbac@earthlink.net>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: RUBY???

On Sat, 9 Jun 2001, David Leimbach wrote:

> What is ruby and why are there so many ports for it...
>
> I assume its some kind of language but I have to say that in the Linux circles
> I used to inhabit that I never saw much about ruby...
>
> Is it a general purpose language like Python???

Ruby is a fully object oriented scripting language.
It has quite a following but is rather new to the US.
It got it's start in Japan about 5 years ago.

For myself, I consider it a Perl replacement and I use
it both professionally and personally.

The official Ruby site is:

  http://www.ruby-lang.org

There is also a book that is available and online at:

  http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/ruby/index.html

Cheers
Jim Freeze
jim@freeze.org