Date:      Mon, 31 Jul 2000 08:14:49 -0500
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Andrew M. Miklic" <miklic@attglobal.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GDM

On Sun, Jul 16, 2000 at 01:24:05PM -0600, Andrew M. Miklic wrote:
>     I'm relatively new to FreeBSD and the ports collection, but I was
> surprised could not find a port for the GNOME desktop manager (gdm)
> since it is available for OpenBSD and NetBSD, and so I have been using
> kdm for a graphical login manager--is gdm available for FreeBSD?

Not yet.. as "shipped", GDM has a number of serious security
flaws, which can result in both local and remote compromises.

I'm curious that you mention that OpenBSD has it.. given their
background, and the issues with the software, it would seem
a little counter-intuitive for them to have it.

However, once I get back to my desk, I'll take a peek, and if
someone has come up with a secure version, then it'll probably
get added as part of the GNOME metaport.

-aDe [somewhere in England, waiting to get on a plane back home]

--
Ade Lovett, Austin, TX.			ade@FreeBSD.org
FreeBSD: The Power to Serve		http://www.FreeBSD.org/