Date:      Tue, 03 Oct 2017 12:39:07 -0400
From:      "Garance A Drosehn" <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Status of portupgrade and portmaster?

On 29 Sep 2017, at 15:21, Marco Beishuizen wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Sep 2017, the wise Thomas Mueller wrote:
>
>> What is the current status of portupgrade and portmaster?
>>
>> I haven't used portupgrade in some time, but what about portmaster?
>
> Using portupgrade every day and still works great. Tried portmaster
> once but liked portupgrade more. I use poudriere just for testing
> ports.

FWIW, I still stick with portupgrade and am happy to continue using
it.  It works fine for my systems and the collection of ports that I
use.  Every 14-18 months some change comes up where I run into
some significant headache with my ports, and when that happens I
prefer to rebuild my entire ports collection from scratch.  I do this
in a chroot environment on that system, so I can start from scratch
and build up a full collection without disrupting anything on my
system.  Once I have successfully build a brand new collection of
ports, then I switch from my older ports-collection to the
newly-rebuilt ports-collection.

During one of those situations where my current ports-collection
was experiencing problems, I made a serious effort to try poudriere.
It did not work for me in that situation.  And based on what I went
through in that situation, I suspect it is not a good fit for my
(few) freebsd systems.  The problem is that I have only a few systems,
and they are very different.  (different major releases of FreeBSD,
different hardware architectures, or significantly different sets of
ports).  I expect that if I had *more* systems, and if those systems
were more similar, then poudriere would be a valuable tool for me.

That's my own experience.  I doubt it will convince anyone who has a
different set of requirements than I do.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn                =     drosih@rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer               or   gad@FreeBSD.org