Date:      Mon, 11 Jul 2016 11:18:54 +0200
From:      "Vlad K." <vlad-fbsd@acheronmedia.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A few problems with Gitlab

On 2016-07-11 10:29, Torsten Zuehlsdorff wrote:

> First: how did you installed GitLab? Did you use the port www/gitlab
> and followed the linked documentation ?

Yes, and in fact I installed with pkg, did not build anything myself.

> The documentation clearly states, that you (currently and sadly) must
> start GitLab as root via:
> service gitlab start

That is exactly what I did, `service gitlab start`. Of several services,
Unicorn fails and the logs/unicorn.stderr.log says the symlink fails.

However, I did not change the user to root via rc vars. Do I need to?
And speaking of those, the rc script does not respect rc vars. I can
`service gitlab start` even if there's no gitlab_enable="YES" in
rc.conf, and there is no onestart.

> There was a bug in older versions of the GitLab port. This is fixed
> since 8.8.X is in the portstree.

Ok, I'll try with the latest repo.

> No log in /usr/local/www/gitlab/log/ ? All logs of GitLab port are
> going into this dir.

No, I meant no error logged (in any of the logs). Nothing in gitlab's or
nginx' logs that would tell what exactly failed. Only that there was a
timeout, which I already know.

--

Vlad K.