Date:      Fri, 2 May 1997 09:14:02 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        bde@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -current build is now broken..

>> I just told you how to make it reality for *.mk.  Please test and use
>> the fix and don't blow away my changes without review.
>
>Well, as I already told you, I don't have time to do this right now
>but if you want to wait until the weekend or early next week then I
>will be happy to look at them for you.  In your specific case,

It takes about 1 minute to test if you have things set up to build
releases.  Just check that the dir file gets installed early.

>however, I think that you can also test the release target just as
>easily as I can and it's probably time you started doing so anyway

Sorry, I don't have time to test releases or 2.2.

>system is vulnerable to such changes.  The world target is simply an
>insufficient test if you're going to go modifying the *.mk files (or

I don't normally use the world target either :-).  You're wrong that *.mk
have much to do with the release makefile.  Except for the DISTRIBUTION
targets (which I won't go near), *.mk is about dependencies, building
and installing standard things.  The chroot in release/Makefile reduces
these problems to the same ones faced by `make world'.

>This is also not a question of me blowing away your changes without
>review, this is a case of you breaking the tree and me fixing it
>again, pure and simple, and I think I'm entirely justified in saying
>*please don't do that*.  Producing snapshots and trying to serve the

Well, I have been testing the de-grossing change in -current since
January, and I asked you to fix it properly then, with no results.

Bruce