Date:      Fri, 26 Mar 1999 02:48:54 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        ksmm@threespace.com (The Classiest Man Alive)
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux vs. FreeBSD: The Storage Wars

> Feature for feature, is there a big difference in the storage requirements
> of Linux and FreeBSD?  That is, would a FreeBSD installation (say 2.2.8)
> take any more or less space than a comparably configured Linux installation?
>
> Thanks in advance for your insight.

Both FreeBSD and Linux use ELF format executables, and will have near
identical storage requirements; the one exception will be that programs
that embed the OS name will take 7 characters for FreeBSD, but only 5
characters for Linux.  8-).

Over time, the EXT2FS storage will tend to become more fragmented
than FFS storage, due to the way layout is done.  If this happens
to your Linux machine, you can simply back the system up to tape,
wipe the disk, and restore from tape to defragment it and recover
the wasted disk space.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---