Date:      Fri, 3 Mar 2000 14:49:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      Brian Beattie <beattie@aracnet.com>
To:        Michael Bacarella <mbac@bsd4.nyct.net>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Copy-on-write filesystem

On Fri, 3 Mar 2000, Michael Bacarella wrote:

> > > It wouldn't be.  This is how NetApp do their .snapshot direcotries.  I think
> > > they have some white papers on it on their website.  It's very handy.
> >
> > Kirk McKusick is implementing a Copy-on write functionality
> > for UFS. It is used in conjunction with Soft updates to produce
> > snapshots. It's not what you asked for, but still relevant
> > I think. One problem with "Copy-on-write, when applied to
> > file copies is that you need to assign the blocks up front, even if you
> > don't copy the data, as otherwise you could run out of space
> > when the copy is actually needed.
>
> That's the only real drawback I've considered.
>
> People accept it (barely) when the OS commits to providing virtual memory
> it does not have, killing processes when the system falls into debt.
>
> No one will appreciate that happening to their "permanent" data,
> especially if the OS decides that the best way to get out of debt is by
> deleting a file :)

Actually, since this is copy-on-write, you do not need the block, until
you write.  If you need to make a copy, it will be on a write system call
(possibly an inode update), just fail the write ENOSPC or whatever.  Or am
I missing something simple here.

> -MB

Brian Beattie            | The only problem with
beattie@aracnet.com      | winning the rat race ...
www.aracnet.com/~beattie | in the end you're still a rat