Date:      Mon, 06 Dec 1999 23:23:15 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        "Ronald G. Minnich" <rminnich@lanl.gov>
Cc:        Zhihui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ELF & putting inode at the front of a file

In message <Pine.LNX.4.20.9912061519360.20185-100000@mini.acl.lanl.gov>, "Ronal
d G. Minnich" writes:
>On Mon, 6 Dec 1999, Zhihui Zhang wrote:
>> I am doing some research on filesystem.  I guess it may be faster to put
>> the disk inode with its file data together so that both can be read into
>> memory in one I/O.
>
>I still don't get it. To get the file, you do a lookup. So the inode is in
>memory. The you call the handler for the executable. But the inode is in
>memory at this point .... what am I missing?

The inode is not likely to be in memory for a news spool or similar.  Only
very recently used inodes are in memory actually.  They die with the vnode
which maybe still die to fast.

Putting the inode with the data saves a little less than one diskaccess
on average per file, which for truly random access filesystems is a good
thing.

FreeBSD -- It will take a long time before progress goes too far!