Date:      Fri, 6 Nov 1998 01:29:59 +1030 (CST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   +REQUIRED_BY not updated by deinstall

When I deinstall a port, it often does not update the +REQUIRED_BY files of
its dependencies, and so I'm left with lots of ports with stale entries in
their +REQUIRED_BY

e.g.

===>  Deinstalling for jbigkit-1.0
/usr/sbin/pkg_delete: package `jbigkit-1.0' is required by these other
packages
and may not be deinstalled (but I'll delete it anyway):
aview-1.2
ImageMagick-4.0.9
ImageMagick-4.1.3

when I just did a pkg_delete on ImageMagick-4.0.9 and installed the new one.

# pkg_info ImageMagick-4.0.9
pkg_info: can't find package `ImageMagick-4.0.9' installed or in a file!

This leads to the case where a port has no actually-installed dependencies,
but thinks it does and so pkg_delete on its own won't work without the -f
flag.

Is there some explanation for this, or is it a bug as it seems to be?

Kris