Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 1997 17:50:16 -0800
From:      Richard Johnson <raj@cisco.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing using 3COM Etherlink III PCMCIA card

I figured I should write back to let everyone know what happened with
my problems with ethernet cards on my AST Ascentia P50.

I had originally puchased a 3COM Etherlink III PCMCIA card but when
that didn't seem to work I immediately purchased an IBM Ethernet II
card.  That didn't work either.  Finally I got a message from Doug
White saying I should look at the PAO package.  That worked just
perfectly with the IBM card but had a rather low throughput (like,
about 6Kbps).  I then tried the same package with the 3COM card and it
worked wonderfully!  The throughput is great.  So...  I'm going to
send back the IBM card and keep the 3COM card.  (As a side note, I
believe it was Doug White who mentioned that the 3C589D rev. card is
not supported.  Well...  It's supported using the latest PAO package
just fine!)

Anyway, I just wanted to let everyone know the final outcome of this.
I now have X11 up and am writing this reply from my laptop!  I *love*
it!  Thanks everyone!

/raj