Date:      Sun, 19 Mar 2000 16:38:04 -0000
From:      "Cameron Grant" <gandalf@vilnya.demon.co.uk>
To:        "Conrad Sabatier" <conrads@home.com>, <stable@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <multimedia@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Suggestions for improving newpcm performance?

> As I mentioned in another post, since upgrading to 4.0 and converting from
> Voxware to newpcm, I've noticed quite a significant degradation in audio
> performance.  Whereas my MP3s used to play smoothly until the system load
> reached a really high level, now I'm getting breakup even with minimal
> system loads (on a 166MHz P5).

define breakup?  noise, or pausing?

> Any ideas on how I might improve performance?  I've already disabled ATAPI
> DMA (my system is pure IDE), thinking there may have been a conflict, and
> am using softupdates as well, but still, anytime the system load increases
> even slightly, I notice some chop.

what you are seeing is probably spl-related.  spls are going away
in -current, which will improve concurrency greatly.

the situation with voxware is that it will remain in 4.x, but unless a
maintainer comes forward who will convert it to newbus, in -current it will
soon be toast.

    - cg