Date:      Tue, 25 Feb 1997 16:55:47 +0900 (JST)
From:      Naoki Hamada <nao@sbl.cl.nec.co.jp>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   MALLOC(3) writes to stderr...

Hi.

Malloc(3) of 2.2-GAMMA writes error/warning messages to stderr. There
is a daemon named jserver, which provides translations between
Japanese characters, which does close stderr before opening its
dictionary files. Sometimes jserver gets its dictionary file
completely damaged by malloc's error/warning message.

How should we deal with this anomaly? Yep, fixing jserver's memory
allocation thoroughly might be the ultimate solution, but we need a
practical solution for now. Must we change jserver to keep stderr open
and to put error messages into /var/log/jserver.log or something? Or
make malloc(3) keep silent?

- nao