Date:      Tue, 08 Dec 2009 15:30:07 +0100
From:      ocean <ocean_ieee@yahoo.it>
To:        Charles Howse <chowse@charter.net>
Cc:        'FreeBSD-Questions' <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Gnome desktop for 5 y/o

i think it could go fine on this computer, use gnome lite and also add
the needed ports to have a fairly nice system (gnome-backgrounds
etc...). compile from ports with some optimizations (-O2
-fno-strict-aliasing and consider if -pipe could be used or not based on
your ram memory). for firefox consider you'll have probably to use also
linux compatibility layer with flash (don't know if it's on 6.4)

for parental control check this thread in ml:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2007-June/152543.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2007-July/152728.html

regards
ocean