Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 1995 00:34:07 +0100 (BST)
From:      Paul Richards <paul@isl.cf.ac.uk>
To:        hsu@freefall.cdrom.com (Jeffrey Hsu)
Cc:        julian@ref.tfs.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Gating hackers into the newsgroups

>   but there is a point in expanding the NEWS coverage..
>   rememeber I was suggesting MAIL -> News and not visa-versa.
>
> Sorry, I wasn't explicit in my last mail message.  We both agree on
> expanding the news coverage.  I want to go further and see the news
> coverage subsume the mailing lists, but for the moment, I'd be
> happy just to see the mail -> news gateway.  Of course, I'd be happier
> to see the news -> mail gateway too.  Then I can unsubscribe to the mailing
> lists and just read news.  (Anyone who likes mail can still get their
> quota of mail by staying on the mailing lists.  Nothing in this proposal
> changes the status quo for them.)

Well, if we setup the Follow-up and reply-to fields properly and you use
a decent newsreader you should be able to just read the newsgroup and
still be able to reply to the gated mail as if it was from a mail reader.

Umm, I've only had two direct complaints and that was against a full
gateway so I'd say the concensus is to actually do this. All we need now
is a volunteer to do it. Learning about news gateways isn't currently high
on my list of tasks :-)

--
  Paul Richards, FreeBSD core team member.
  Internet: paul@FreeBSD.org,  URL: http://isl.cf.ac.uk/~paul/