Date:      Wed, 1 Aug 2001 02:47:26 -0500 (CDT)
From:      David Scheidt <dscheidt@tumbolia.com>
To:        "Eugene L. Vorokov" <vel@bugz.infotecs.ru>
Cc:        Mohana Krishna Penumetcha <pmk@sasken.com>, <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: crash dump output

On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, Eugene L. Vorokov wrote:

:> > Maybe it's offtopic a bit, but can you please give exact instructions of how
:> > to compile debug kernel ? My machine crashes sometimes too, I tried to compile
:> > debug kernel, but it seemed not so easy and I gave up due to lack of time. Or
:> > is there any URL with a good explanation ?
:>
:>   you just call config with '-g' option. and compile the kernel in normal
:> way. The freebsd handbook discusses this in more detail.
:
:Hmm. It seems like I need spare swap device for crashdump ? What can I do
:if I have no room on disk for this ? Can normal swap device be used, and
:if yes, how to save core on panic ? I think swap device contents will be
:lost on the next reboot ...

You can use swap for dump, as long as you have a swap device that's
slightly larger (64Kb, I think?) than your physical memory.  set the rc.conf
variable to point to your swap partion
dumpon="/dev/da0s1b", or whatever.  savecore(8) will save the dump at system
startup.  It runs from /etc/rc, so it should run soon enough to prevent your
dump from having been overwritten by swapping, unless you're seriously
pressed for memory.

--
dscheidt@tumbolia.com
Bipedalism is only a fad.