Date:      Tue, 5 Feb 2002 13:26:26 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        phk@critter.freebsd.dk
Subject:   Re: A question about timecounters

In article <93251.1012941450@critter.freebsd.dk>,
Poul-Henning Kamp  <phk@critter.freebsd.dk> wrote:

> Well, either way I will commit the volatile and this NTIMECOUNTER to
> -current now, it's certainly better than what is there now.

Great, thanks.

> Thanks for the help, I owe you one at BSDcon!

I'll look forward to it!

> Ohh, and btw: do I need to say that I'm dying to know what the heck
> you are doing with that box ?  :-)

Making the room a good bit warmer, that's for sure. :-)

First I should mention for the benefit of those listening in that it
isn't something I can release publicly, and it will probably never
be open source.  It's a simulated web client and web server, running
inside the kernel.  It's good for load-testing and performance-testing
many kinds of network devices.  With two 1-GHz PIII boxes (one acting
as the client and the other acting as the server) it can generate
around 50000 (actually I think it's more than that) full web sessions
per second.  Also, you can dial in any rate you want, and it will
generate that rate very precisely.  Lots of fun!

John
--
  John Polstra