Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 1996 04:16:40 +0000
From:      mark@linus.demon.co.uk (Mark Valentine)
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, nate@sri.mt.net
Subject:   Re: Building inside of /usr/src?

> From: "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
> Date: Tue 25 Jun, 1996
> Subject: Re: Building inside of /usr/src?

> > What, even without /home/joe/src/obj?  How about if joe had:
> >
> >     /home/joe/src/obj.i386 -> /home/joe/i386/obj
> >     /home/joe/src/obj.sparc -> /home/joe/sparc/obj
>
> That never worked. :-)

Have you tried it?  :-)

  $ cd ~/tmp
  $ mkdir src i386 i386/obj
  $ cd src
  $ ln -s ../i386/obj obj.i386
  $ vi foo.c
  $ make foo
  cc -O2 -m486 -pipe  /home/mark/tmp/src/foo.c  -o foo
  $ ls
  foo.c         obj.i386
  $ ls obj.i386
  foo
  $ obj.i386/foo
  Yes, it does.

This is -current from Saturday.

I'd imagine that the /usr/share/mk/*.mk rules are even fixed to avoid
breaking this for /usr/src in one or more of NetBSD, OpenBSD and BSD/OS,
and would be fixed in short order for FreeBSD as soon as other platforms
became interesting.

> > I think I remember some implementation bugs along these lines.  That's
> > a far cry from being a design bug, though.
>
> It's fundamentally the same thing if a) nobody is going to fix it and
> b) it impacts your work.  Who cares if it was design or implementation
> related if you're still suffering either way?

I guess it matters very little if you're overworked and have a deadline.  :-(

		Mark.

--
Mark Valentine at Home <mailto:mv@pobox.com> <http://www.pobox.com/~mv/>;