Date:      Fri, 14 Jan 2005 17:01:05 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        fquest@ccstores.com (Jim Pazarena)
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: boot up notification

> I would like one of my servers to send me an email when
> it boots. I envision a script in rc.conf to do this.
>
> Is there an easier way, or an automatic system which can do this?

Put a little script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d

name it something like /usr/local/etc/rc.d/bootmail.sh
In it, put something like:

#!/bin/sh
 echo "Coming Up at: `date`" | /usr/bin/mail -s 'Boot Notice' your@email.addr
exit 0

Make sure it has execute permission and it will run at boot time.

It will send you an Email message complete with the date
when it boots.   Note the _back_ single quotes around date.

////jerry