Date:      Wed, 1 Oct 1997 20:56:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jamil J. Weatherbee" <jamil@counterintelligence.ml.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Device drivers

I've taken a look at the source code to a few device drivers and run the
example scripts for Isa stuff, I have a general feeling of what needs to
be in one and how it operates however I simply don't feel I have enough
information (or a well enough documented example) to feel confident
writing one myself, does anyone have a document/FAQ no matter how small
describng the required functions/tables/probing /irq setup etc. so I would
know what exactly I am doing. A line by line walk through of even a
cheeseball driver would be greatly appreciated or perhaps even a pointer
to a well documented driver (My standard is to have a comment on every
line of code, that's what I mean by "well documented"), but preferably not
to lengthy where I am goin to mostly be looking at the nitty gritty of a
device I don't know about or understand. Someone passed me a driver for a
stepper motor, the idea of what it is doing with the physical hardware is
easy for me since I deal with that stuff all the time, unfortunately there
are hardly no comments.