Date:      Sat, 24 Apr 1999 09:02:10 +0200
From:      tobi@bland.fido.de (Tobias Ernst)
To:        freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org
Subject:   instabilities

Hallo!

Thanks to Gary's efforts, I am using an Elsa ISDN PCC-16 to connect to my
University via PPP. It has been working flawlessly for the last months.

In the last week, I had two very strange effects.

The first one was this: isdnd dialed in properly, but disconnected five seconds
after that, without sending any IP packets.

The second one was today: isdnd dialed in all right, and from the FreeBSD
machine, I was also able to send IP packets, but IP masquerading had died
mysteriously, i.e. I could not send anything from my client machines.
Traceroute showed the packets vanishing somewhere on the FreeBSD machine.

In both cases, I shut down anything that could have to do with it, i.E. I
killed natd, configured isp0 down, and killed isdnd. After that, I invoked
start_if.isp0, to have everything come up properly again. It didn't help
anything.

Having reached the end of my knowledge, I then rebooted the FreeBSD machine
(urgh ...), and after that, everything worked OK again. Of course I did not
change anything on the configuration since it first worked, and there were no
unusual log entries whatsoever.

Now my question is on what tools I could use to find out what actually is going
wrong the next time a problem of this sort pops up. In the first case, I
suspect that the problem must have been somewhere in the ISDN layer, so I think
I have not much chance of finding out unless I want to invoke a debugger. But
in the second case it must have been a problem in the IP layer, and so there
should be ways to diagnose it. spppcontrol perhaps?

My system is FreeBSD 2.2.8 with i4b 0.70.00 and Gary's patches for the PCC-16
applied.

Viele Gruesse,
Tobias