Date:      Wed, 30 Nov 2005 09:25:19 -0800
From:      "Vinod Kashyap" <vkashyap@amcc.com>
To:        "Olaf Greve" <o.greve@axis.nl>
Cc:        amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: More about the 9500S-4 issues with the MoBo and FreeBSD...

I am sorry about the question, but the error messages looked
like ones that could get printed if the driver was running in a 64-bit
environment, but thought it was running in a 32-bit environment.

Anyways, please know that you can always contact 3ware support for help.

> [...]
>=20
> As the client needs this machine to be up an running this=20
> Friday, yesterday evening I decided to opt for a different=20
> strategy: install this machine using the on-board RAID=20
> controller, then in the meantime ask the client to order an=20
> Opteron (or dual Opteron) with a Tyan MoBo, install, tune and=20
> test that one at ease and then when it's all set-up swap that=20
> with the machine I'm currently working on.
>=20
> So, just when I thought I had a workable strategy again, look=20
> at what horrors were bestowed upon me next: the Sil 3114=20
> on-board RAID controller recognises the drives, enters the=20
> BIOS, but when confirming the total RAID array size it=20
> totally hangs! And that's the controller's BIOS; it didn't=20
> even get to the point where one could install FreeBSD (or=20
> anything else for that matter). So, with "Plan B" out, there=20
> was even a "Plan C": use the nVidia on-board RAID controller.=20
> O.k., I plugged over the SATA controllers, configured the=20
> MoBo's BIOS to do this, and what do ya guess? Indeed, another=20
> full blown controller hang.=20
> Nice. :(
>=20
> Well, over the past 15 years I must have installed dozens of=20
> machines (several of them including Asus boards, in=20
> combination with Adaptec SCSI RAID controllers and various=20
> different versions and flavours (i.e.=20
> 1386/amd64) of FreeBSD), with OS-es ranging from MS-DOS,=20
> through the full array of W*nd*wses, FreeBSDs, Linuxes, and I=20
> can hardly recall any more troublesome installation process=20
> than this time; really, it reminds me of the good 'ole MS-DOS=20
> days where one had to jumper each and every ISA board and=20
> then tweak memory configurations in order to get the lot=20
> going. :((((((
>=20
> Actually, I think something is simply b*ll*xed up on the=20
> board, but I just can't put my finger on what it is. Surele=20
> even if it is primarily a gaming board, still these type of=20
> errors should not have occurred. I spent the better part of=20
> late last evening and the wee hours on reading the MoBo's=20
> docs, and checking if we perhaps missed something.
>=20
> I didn't spot anything, but something MUST be off... :((((
>=20
> Dunno. Time for a "plan D" I guess; I'll ask if the client=20
> can somehow get a working machine, and then I'll pull two=20
> more late nighters to at least get the bit I was supposed to=20
> do done: installing and tuning FreeBSD and MySQL. At present=20
> it's highly frustrating that I can't even really reach the OS=20
> installation part...:((((
>=20
> OK, guys thanks for hanging in there with me. I'm sure some=20
> day in the future I can laugh out loud at it too, just not=20

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, =
is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and contains =
information that is confidential and proprietary to Applied Micro =
Circuits Corporation or its subsidiaries. It is to be used solely for =
the purpose of furthering the parties' business relationship. All =
unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If =
you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply =