Date:      Fri, 23 Nov 2001 13:59:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      Wayne Lubin <wayneclubin@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   sound problem

Hi,

The problem I am having is that half the time I boot
up my sound works fine, and the other half I get the
error that the /dev/dsp device is busy. Now for a
little backgroung and some more details.

Just purchased the sound blaster 16 pci card. Compiled
into the kernel

device pcm
device sbc

At boot the related messages are

pcm0: <AudioPCI ES1371> port 0x6200-0x623f irq 9 at
device 20.0 on pci0

and yes I did the MAKEDEV snd0 and the subsequent
related devices all seem to be in /dev

Note that there is no message relative the the sbc
device. Is this a problem?

I grabed the xmms port, but the port did not provide
an entry in my gnome start menu, and so to start it I
enter the command line as superuser

/path_to_xmms &

Then when I try to play an mp3 I get the message in
the gnome terminal, the same terminal that I used to
start xmms

** WARNING **: oss_open(): Failed to open audio device
(/dev/dsp): Device busy

and nothing plays. At which time I shutdown the
system(reboot seems to never help this problem) turn
back on, and sometimes PRESTO I have sound and
everthing works. About half the times I boot it comes
up with sound, and the other half I don't because of
the /dev/dsp busy thing.

Help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Wayne