Date:      Sat, 9 Feb 2008 10:44:24 +0100
From:      ted@tednet.nl (Ted Lindgreen)
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Cc:        Ted Lindgreen <ted@tednet.nl>, Nikolay Vernyayev <nikolay.vernyayev@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Old story: BCM43xx ver.2

[Quoting Nikolay Vernyayev, on Feb  9, 10:18, in "Old story: BCM43xx v ..."]
> none0@pci0:6:0: class=0x028000 card=0x000617f9 chip=0x431814e4 rev=0x02
> hdr=0x00 vendor = 'Broadcom Corporation'
> device = 'BCM43XX Broadcom 802.11b/g'
> class = network

Hi,

My 2-year old Acer 3623 laptop has a similar wireless interface:
 ndis0@pci0:6:5:0:       class=0x028000 card=0x03121468 chip=0x431814e4 rev=0x02 hdr=0x00
 vendor     = 'Broadcom Corporation'
 device     = 'BCM43XX Broadcom 802.11b/g'
 class      = network

The laptop runs FreeBSD-current since I bought it, and is weekly
updated. The Broadcom wireless card has run fine under ndis, on
FreeBSD 6, 7, and now 8.

However, make sure that you use the right BCMWL5.SYS and BCMWL5.INF
files. I had first tried versions of these files downloaded from
various places without success. Using the files from the Windows
partition on the same laptop (in /mnt/dos/WINDOWS/Lan on my Acer),
it works flawlessly. Appearently there are subtile differences in
the versions of this card that are used in laptops of various
vendors.

regards,
-- ted