Date:      Sat, 11 Nov 2000 16:52:17 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Subject:   Re: updating rdist

In message <20001111145251.D21664@dragon.nuxi.com>, "David O'Brien" writes:
> On Sat, Nov 11, 2000 at 07:45:53AM -0800, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Gro
> up wrote:
> > In message <20001111035905.A82574@dragon.nuxi.com>, "David O'Brien"
> > writes:
> > > I have just committed a `44bsd-rdist' port.
> > > So the question is, do we totally remove `rdist' from the base system,
> > > or update it to rdist 6.1.5?
> > On to another idea and another tangent:  Why not leave both rdists in
> > ports and have sysinstall ask the user whether 44bsd-rdist (compatible
> > with most vendors UNIX systems), rdist6 (compatible with Linux), and/or
> > rsync be installed.
>
> It already does, thru the Package installation submenu. ;-)

One last request, if you missed it, please don't put it in base.
Let the user decide whether to install 44bsd-rdist, rdist6, both,
or neither.  As they don't support the same protocol, this may
cause confusion for those who think rdist6 may interoperate with
Solaris or other vendor's rdist, while rdist6 will interoperate
with RedHat Linux rdist.  Also, documentation clarifying
interoperability issues between the two major versions of rdist s/b
put in the handbook and/or the description files of each port.
(We could even put a plug in for rsync).

Team Leader, Sun/DEC Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC