Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 2000 14:39:37 -0700
From:      Joseph Scott <joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu>
To:        Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 5.0-current PC Card NIC

Michael Lucas wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I find myself in the unpleasant position of having to run -current on
> a laptop.  (It's difficult to document -current when you don't have it.)
>
> I understand that the NE2000 cards are the safest to use on -current.
> ("Safest" in this context meaning, "the driver is least likely to meet
> the Danish Axes.")  Is this correct?
>
> Can someone recommend a NE2k that's still easy to find?  I've gotten a
> couple recommmendations in the past, but when I've gone to buy them
> they've been out of stock or on eternal backorder.

	I'm not running -current ( 4-stable ), but I've had great success
with the NetGear FX-410 PC Card Nic.  Be sure to look at the 410 and
not the 510.  Their 510 is a CardBus unit.  Uses the ed driver, does
10/100, although I can realy say how close to 100 it would do.  It
even has usefull leds.  I believe these can be found around $60 at
most places, like Amazon :

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00000JBBI/qid=955402737/sr=1-10/102-9700460-7496048

	You can get more info from NetGear's web site :

http://netgear.baynetworks.com

	Although it appears to be down right now.

--
Joseph Scott
joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu