Date:      Sat, 2 Mar 2002 12:10:32 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <csfbsd@raggedclown.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Secure FTP server

On Sat, Mar 02, 2002 at 12:41:53AM -0600, Steven Lake wrote:
> >Are you talking about "sftp", part of the ssh suite ?
> >It doesn't run as a daemon. When you connect with sftp an sftp-server
> >process starts up to deal with your requests. There is no "sftpd".
> >
> >Try it.
>
> 	So I am to assume that I don't need an actual Secure FTP daemon to
> have people secure FTP into one of our machines?  So this would work
> similar to FTP but wouldn't require any kind of daemon running?

The ssh mechanism deals with it, so you have to set that up properly of
course, same validation mechanisms etc.

Example...

[cliff@angel]:~$ sftp localhost
Connecting to localhost...
cliff@localhost's password:
sftp>
sftp> help
Available commands:
cd path                       Change remote directory to 'path'
lcd path                      Change local directory to 'path'
chgrp grp path                Change group of file 'path' to 'grp'
chmod mode path               Change permissions of file 'path' to
'mode'
chown own path                Change owner of file 'path' to 'own'
help                          Display this help text
get remote-path [local-path]  Download file
lls [ls-options [path]]       Display local directory listing
ln oldpath newpath            Symlink remote file
lmkdir path                   Create local directory
lpwd                          Print local working directory
ls [path]                     Display remote directory listing
lumask umask                  Set local umask to 'umask'
mkdir path                    Create remote directory
put local-path [remote-path]  Upload file
pwd                           Display remote working directory
exit                          Quit sftp
quit                          Quit sftp
rename oldpath newpath        Rename remote file
rmdir path                    Remove remote directory
rm path                       Delete remote file
symlink oldpath newpath       Symlink remote file
version                       Show SFTP version
!command                      Execute 'command' in local shell
!                             Escape to local shell
?                             Synonym for help
sftp> !ps axf | grep sftp
 2748  ??  Is     0:00.05 /usr/libexec/sftp-server
                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 2745  v1  S+     0:00.00 sftp localhost
 2746  v1  I+     0:00.06 ssh localhost -s -oForwardX11=no
-oForwardAgent=no -oProtocol=2 sftp
 2752  v1  S+     0:00.00 /usr/local/bin/bash -c ps axf | grep sftp
 2754  v1  S+     0:00.00 grep sftp
sftp> quit
[cliff@angel]:~$

You can of course run sshd in a jail as well for that extra
restrictiveness..I have never tried this, but I believe it works.

--
Regards
   Cliff Sarginson -- <csfbsd@raggedclown.net>