Date:      Wed, 30 Mar 2005 00:06:11 -0600
From:      Karl Denninger <karl@denninger.net>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <mdodd@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DANGER WILL ROBINSON! SERIOUS problem with current 5.4-PRERELEASE

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 12:50:31AM -0500, Matthew N. Dodd wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005, Karl Denninger wrote:
> > 245a252
> >>           request->donecount = 0;
> >
> > Without the last delta the requeue doesn't happen at all.
>
> So you're saying that this change:
>
>  	1.42: When resubmitting a timed out request, reset donecount.
>
> produces the problem?

I believe so, yes, if my recollection from earlier in the month is correct.

Without it, the problem doesn't exist, but the requeueing doesn't happen
either (well technically according to the code it does, but it doesn't do
anything) - so whether that's the problem or whether it simply MASKS the
problem I can't say without further investigation.

I am loading up my sandbox machine with an exact copy now, and expect to
know more sometime tomorrow - I will have to go through a full
buildworld/installworld/buildkernel/installkernel to bring the sandbox up
to date and then stuff a SATA disk and adapter in there to re-create the
environment closely enough to be sure that I'm looking at the same issue.

More as soon as I know with certainty.

Karl Denninger (karl@denninger.net) Internet Consultant & Kids Rights Activist
http://www.denninger.net	My home on the net - links to everything I do!
http://scubaforum.org		Your UNCENSORED place to talk about DIVING!