Date:      Wed, 8 Dec 1999 01:41:15 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.org>
To:        fs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Final call for VOP_ISLOCKED objections

I'd like to commit the changes to VOP_ISLOCKED() I've mentioned here
before.  The patches are at
	http://www.freebsd/org/~eivind/new-types-for-lock.patch
and
* Make VOP_ISLOCKED() and lockstatus() take an extra parameter
  (process), and return a new constant (LK_EXCLOTHER) if the process
  parameter is supplied and there is an exclusive lock held by
  somebody else.
* Extend the ASSERT_VOP_LOCKED/UNLOCKED family with a series of calls
  to do better checking.
* Changes the ASSERT_VOP_UNLOCKED semantics to
  unlocked-by-this-process, which is more in line with how the code
  use it.
* Introduce new (presently unused) lock descriptions in
  vnode_if.src/vnode_if.sh, allowing precise descriptions WRT
  shared/exclusive locks.

They do *not* change any of behaviour unless the undocumented option
DEBUG_VFS_LOCKS is enabled.

I would like to commit these changes tomorrow, for the convenience
reason of getting an environment I can debug the locking system under,
rushing for getting as much 'stuff' as possible tested and into the
system for the 15th.

Eivind.