Date:      Wed, 20 Feb 2002 18:56:20 +1100 (EST)
From:      "Andrew Barnes" <andrew@mosina.com.au>
To:        <freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org>
Subject:   VMware v2.0.4 Networking Problem

Hi,

I've got the following problem:

I've installed VMWare2 using the ports collection - no problems
(although it didn't automatically set up the linprocfs - but that wasn't
a problem!).  This was done as root.

As a general user (with group "wheel" permissions) I start X-Windows and
run vmware.  Again, no problems.  I have even installed Windows 2000 Pro
without any dramas - FDD, CDROM, it all works.

The problem is with the networking.  I have installed VMWare in Bridging
mode - bridging off interface xl0.  When setting up to install the guest
o/s, the ethernet device is set up as "Host Only" (as per
Hints.FreeBSD).

xl0 has IP of 172.16.0.2/24 with a default gateway of 172.16.0.1.
vmnet1 interface (on host o/s) has IP address of 192.168.0.1/24.
Guest OS an IP address of 192.168.0.2/24 with a default gateway of
192.168.0.1

In this configuration, I'm unable to connect to ANYTHING - not the LAN,
not even the host O/S.  HOWEVER, if I then change Win2k's network config
so that it is now 172.16.0.4/24 with a default router of 172.16.0.1, it
can see the local network, can even route to other private networks, but
STILL cannot see the local host O/S' network :-(

My configuration is as follows:

FreeBSD v4.5-RELEASE
XFree86 v4.2.0 + GNOME + IceWM
VMWare v2.0.4 build 1142
Windows 2000 Professional

I have even gone and done a chmod g+w to /compat/linux/dev/vmnet1 so
that my own user account can write to the device.

Please note, that while the install was done as root, actually running
vmware (and installing/using the guest o/s, etc) is all done under my
own user account.  I really don't want to (and shouldn't have to?) run
vmware as root.

If ANYONE has any hints/suggestions/further questions, please let me
know!

Cheers,
  Andrew Barnes

--