Date:      Sun, 26 Sep 1999 15:10:23 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Richard Morte <richard@sinclairassoc.force9.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with Zoom PCI internal Modem

On Sun, Sep 26, 1999 at 02:58:33PM +0100, Richard Morte wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Just thought I'd update you on the zoom modem problems I've been having. The
> model is the 56k/V90 PCI internal. I spent days trying to get it configured
> to work under ppp but with no success. It will not respond to any AT
> commands at all. Nor was it ever recognised by the kernel even with pnp0
> configured.
>
> Three members of the mailing list responded to my calls for help with the
> advice to replace the modem with a 'better' one. Now the modem does work
> fine under Win 95/98. But it, like so many other internal modem cards, is
> essentially a "Winmodem" which means that not all the processing is done
> through hardware; instead it is hived off to the OS for Windows to deal
> with. It appears these modems will not work under FreeBSD.
>
> Apparently the ISA version does work OK.
>
> To anyone contemplating installing/using a modem - please check if it is a
> "Winmodem". If it is, or if you are not sure, don't buy/use it because
> you''ll probably waste an awful lot of time.

One problem appears to be that nowadays the manufacturers don't
always use the term Winmodem (guess they just assume everyone is
using Windows). A clue that it *isn't* a Winmodem is if it states
on the box that it works under DOS, although I've heard stories
(rumours?) that there are now DOS drivers for Winmodems. External
modems are the safest bet as they cannot be Winmodems.

Caveat Emptor.

--
STATE-OF-THE-ART: Any computer you can't afford.
OBSOLETE: Any computer you own.