Date:      11 Mar 1997 12:01:19 +0000
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@render.com>
To:        Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Maybe a showstopper, maybe not.

Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@cdsnet.net> writes:

> NFS in the current 2.2 branch seems problematical.
>
> I just took delivery of an F540 Network Appliance NFS server.  It runs
> fine with BSD/OS, Solaris, Chameleon NFS from an NT box, but not
> 2.2 supped from a couple days ago.
>
> I can mount the drive fine, ls works fine, but iozone causes it to lock up
> after the write step completes, and my machine is frozen up.
>
> I booted my same box under BSD/OS, and it works fine, and a different
> box booting Solaris works fine.
>
> No combination that I tried worked reliably from 2.2.  I tried UDP, v3,
> TCP, and various permutations.  The problem is consistent across all my
> 2.2 boxes, *but* a 2.2 box from back in something like August works fine.
>
> All the rest of my 2.2 boxes have been built since Feb 97 or so.
>
> Copying the old kernel (from august) to my box lets it work fine as well,
> so I don't think it's a hardware issue.
>
> If I'm the only person having problems with it, then I won't worry about
> it too much, other than to not use FreeBSD on the boxes that will be
> accessing it.  But I was curious if anybody else was seeing problems with
> it.

Do you have the last couple of changes which happened to NFS on the
2.2 branch?  These affect the operation of NFSv3 writes so it is just
possible that they would affect you.  It appears that you have tried
both v2 and v3 so this is a long shot.

Can you break into the machine with DDB?

Can you get a packet trace using "tcpdump -vv -s 500" (record the
trace on a machine which is not going to crash in the test :-).  If
you are testing NFSv3, make sure it is a recent version (the NFSv3
changes seem to be there in the 2.2 branch).

--
Doug Rabson, Microsoft RenderMorphics Ltd.	Mail:  dfr@render.com
						Phone: +44 171 734 3761