Date:      Sun, 27 Apr 1997 11:30:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Josef Grosch <jgrosch@superior.mooseriver.com>
To:        gustoma@wam.umd.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: more help..

Mike said:
>On Sat, 26 Apr 1997, Kevin Eliuk wrote:
>
>> I've noticed a lot of reports of problems with fdimage. I couldn't have it
>> work for me. You will probably have greater luck with rawrite.exe.
>
>hmm.. thanks, rawrite worked, but alas, there's more problems.  I reboot
>with the disk, and get the FreeBSD boot message, then after it boots, I
>don't know what happens, but then it tells me: Error: D:0x0 C:2 H:1 S:17
>But, it's not bad enough that it tells me something's wrong, it repeats
>it, OVER AND OVER AGAIN!!!  (as if to rub it in)
>
>perhaps, my system just isn't compatible..
>thanks again.
>mike.

It has been my experience that this error indicates a bad floppy disk. Try
copying the boot image to a freshly formated floppy. If you are using
Windows to format the floppy make sure NOT to do a quick format. The quick
format, if I am not misken, just wipes the FAT. What you want is a format
that will mark the bad sectors. If the format comes back with any sectors
marked bad, try another floppy.

Josef

--
Josef Grosch        |   Another day closer to a   |    FreeBSD 2.2.1
jgrosch@sirius.com  |     Micro$oft free world    | UNIX for the masses