Date:       Wed, 23 Aug 2000 14:06:40 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>
Cc:        Francisco Reyes <fran@reyes.somos.net>, Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>, Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>, FreeBSD stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>, Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>, Jason T <luser@ahab.com>
Subject:   Re: remove empty TEMPROOT dirs at mergemaster's end? (was: cvs commit:src/usr.sbin/mergemaster mergemaster.sh)

On 2000-Aug-22 23:50:29 -0400, "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net> wrote:
>On Tue, 22 Aug 2000, Francisco Reyes wrote:
>
>>The other case is files which one want copied without questions.
>>All the files in /etc/defaults I never touch so I would prefer
>>them to be merged without questions.
>
>I would think that in keeping with POLA /etc/defaults should be merged
>without questions anyway.

But displaying the differences means that you get to see what has
changed (and hence what changes are needed in your local overrides).

As an example, rc.conf was recently changed (in -current) to not
start inetd, portmap or sendmail.  If you are actually relying on
any of these daemons, and you actually notice the differences in
/etc/defaults/rc.conf, you will be able to update /etc/rc.conf
without a period of head-scratching when they don't start.

Peter