Date:      Mon, 26 May 2003 01:46:30 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        "J. Kanowitz" <jkanowitz@snet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OT: Authoritative reference for Via 686B bugs?

"J. Kanowitz" wrote:
> This is a hardware question, but as it does not
> (currently) pertain to FreeBSD, I figured I'd drop it
> here before wasting a development list's time.
>
> As some of you may know, the Eyetech AmigaOne (ATX
> PowerPC board) is based on a MAI Articia S
> northbridge, and a Via 686B
> southbridge/multifunction-wonderchip.  Further, some
> controversy is raging in that scene over "DMA bugs,"
> which may or may not be rooted in the hardware.
> (Reference the usual incoherent chatter on
> http://www.ann.lu.)

Here's what they admit in their FAQ:

Question:

I am having trouble with a system using a VIA chipset including a
686b southbridge and a Creative Sound Blaster Live card.

Answer:

When the 686b southbridge was first released, motherboard manufacturers
and VIA discovered a problem when trying to transfer files between the
primary and the secondary IDE channels on motherboards using ultra-DMA,
when a Sound Blaster Live was plugged in and drivers activated. This
issue was caused because too much noise is transferred across the PCI
bus by the Sound Blaster Live driver set. In an attempt to fix this
issue, some motherboard manufacturers modified their BIOS. In some
instances, these modifications to the BIOS caused a data corruption
error even when not using a Sound Blaster Live. VIA released a patch
which resolves this issue, which is incoroporated in the 4in1 drivers
from the 4.31 version onwards. Motherboard manufacturers were advised
to change the modifications made to thier BIOS to elimate the data
corruption issue. If you are experiencing data corruption or lock up
when transferring files between two IDE drives: 1) Make sure you have
the latest BIOS from your motherboard manufacturer. 2) Make sure you
have the latest 4in1 drivers 3) Make sure when you set up your system
that you install the 4in1 drivers both before and after you install the
SBL to make sure that the drivers see your SBL and install the correct
patch. The patch will only install if the SBL is installed.

If you read German, there's also:

http://www.tweakpc.de/berichte/tipps_tricks/via_686b_bug.htm
http://www.heise.de/newsticker/data/jow-12.04.01-001/
http://www.heise.de/newsticker/foren/go.shtml?read=1&msg_id=589116&forum_id=11567

Also, according to some posts in their "forum" area of their
technical support web site, there are problems with the USB
implementation, as well.

All in all, not a chip to use in a new design.  8-(.

-- Terry