Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 2000 21:53:57 -0500 (EST)
From:      mi@video-collage.com
To:        Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
Cc:        Ade Lovett <ade@lovett.com>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports/12739: New port: AT&T's DjVu Netscape plug-in

On 28 Mar, Will Andrews wrote:

= > If it takes so little, why not leave it there?

= When you consider ~1,500-2,500 ports  with a.out support checking, you
= quickly realize it doesn't take "so little".

But this port does  NOT check for a.out... It only checks  if TAR is set
and if not -- sets it... This can be removed if it bothers...

= > Yes, but  we don't  have to  go out of  our way  to enforce  that --
= > again, we are  not a party the  agreement -- it is  between user and
= > AT&T. As a courtesy  to the latter, we tell the  user about it, but,
= > strictly speaking, I don't think we are required to do that.
=
= I'm afraid that  unless you're a lawyer, it simply  makes better sense
= to avoid any possible lawsuit with  AT&T. So I think that this license
= needs to  be shown to the  user and they  need to accept it.  The only
= valid argument you've  placed against this, which is  that it requires
= IS_INTERACTIVE, weighs less than the potential lawsuits.

= I'm not trying to put you down  here, I simply think that we should do
= everything we can to avoid possible  lawsuits, to the point of lunacy.
= This is a free (as in "freedom")  project and I would hate to see that
= change.

Well, I  think, that by  assuming responsibilities  of a licensee  we do
indeed act as lunatics  :-) The difference is you seem  to be willing to
act as such and I don't... (' Respectfully,

	-mi