Date:      Thu, 4 Nov 1999 22:32:56 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
To:        Eric Kozowski <eric@haydenisland.verio.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, multimedia@freebsd.org, Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
Subject:   Re: bt848 w/ 3.3

Eric Kozowski:

 |ok, now that i got the sound blaster working, i'm having trouble w/ a
 |bt848 based video capture card from video logic.
 |
 |the problem is that every time i put the bt848 card in (it's pci) i get
 |no video signal on my agp video card.  take the bt848 back out and i get
 |video signal from the agp video card to my monitor again.
 |
 |kinda tough to troubleshoot w/ no video out.  i searched the freebsd
 |archives and web site w/ no luck.  anyone have any ideas?

Strange.  Don't know.  You might try:

  - Check that you have all the IRQs and DMAs for your ISA cards allocated
    to ISA in your BIOS

  - Change which PCI slot the bt848 is in

  - Pull your other cards except for these two

  - For a test, do you have another video card to try with the bt848?

  - Do you have another machine connected to this one (via
    ethernet/slip/plip/etc.)?  If so, build a kernel with bt848 support,
    boot into FreeBSD with the bt848, and check your /var/run/dmesg.boot
    for how its being detected

  - If not, you might try: build a kernel with bt848 support, install, make
      sure it works with your video card, reboot, power-off, snap the bt848
      in, power on, boot into FreeBSD, let it get to the prompt, reboot,
      power-off, yank the bt848, power-on, and see what your
      /var/run/messages file has to say about the card and the driver's
      detection of it.

These are _complete_ shots in the dark.  In case you need some ideas.
Hopefully though someone else will chime in and solve all your problems. ;-)

FWIW, other folks on the multimedia list have had PCI bt848s working fine
with AGP video cards for a year or so, so it's likely that this is related
to your specific hardware or configuration.

Randall