Date:      Tue, 14 Apr 1998 18:31:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        "Jung, Michael" <mikej@finall.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: arplookup

On Tue, 14 Apr 1998, Jung, Michael wrote:

> 1st: Is this output from "dmesg" _ daily security files
>
> arplookup 172.20.1.79 failed: host is not on local network
> arplookup 172.20.1.79 failed: host is not on local network
>
> Is this telling me "I got a pack from 172.20.1.79" but I couldn't
> arp and get a mac address?

  No, something on your ethernet is telling everybody that it is
172.20.1.79, but that address does not fall within the address range for
your network.

> 2nd - I'm curious where the registration figures (25000 users) came

  The figure is bogus.  I don't even know where you got it from, or where
it was even mentioned...

> 3rd - On a little ol box at home that I put through a lot of stress it
> appeared to me I could no longer create
> new processes.  Their were ~170 running at the time.  messages logged
> where
>
> proc: table is full
> proc: table is full
>
> Needless to say I was not out of swap, and the filesystem where /proc
> resides had over 1GB free space.

  Yes, the proc table is full.  If you were out of swap, it would say so!
Increase MAXUSERS to get a bigger proc table.

Tom