Date:      Tue, 6 Aug 2002 20:29:42 +0000 (UTC)
From:      naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Signals/jobs weirdness?

Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de> wrote:

> Something is fishy with signals/jobs.  Getting suspended jobs back
> into the foreground doesn't quite work.  I don't have a clear picture
> yet of what's wrong.

What happens is that suspended jobs don't continue when resumed.
They are stuck.  If I just ^Z an instance of less(1) and fg it
again, sending a SIGINT (^C) is a quick way to reanimate it.  This
doesn't work if several processes are involved, e.g. if you spawn
an editor from less ('v') and suspend that editor.  When you resume
the job, there are three processes involved: less, sh -c $EDITOR,
$EDITOR. You need to send SIGCONT from a different terminal to all
of these.

> -CURRENT/alpha as of August 3.  Could be a system problem, could
> be something in the new 2.05b release of bash.

Neither /bin/tcsh nor the pdksh port are affected, so I assume this
is a problem in bash-2.05b.

I don't think this is related to the older su(1) problem people
have mentioned.