Date:      Wed, 02 Aug 2000 04:39:09 +0200
From:      Siegbert Baude <siegbert.baude@gmx.de>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        "Corey G." <cgaff@flashcom.net>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Suggestion for change of /usr/src/UPDATING (was: Re: HEADS UP! Always  use the 'make buildkernel' target to make yer kernels)

Hello Warner,

Warner Losh wrote:

> In message <20000731030044.A17511@flashcom.net> "Corey G." writes:
> : How come these exact procedures are not included in /usr/src/UPDATING
> : after upgrading to 4.1?  For example, the only mention of "mergemaster"
> : is when upgrading from 3.x to 4.0 stable.   I do not see any mention of
> : the exact procedures below in my newly created /usr/src/UPDATING file
> : after a cvsup to 4.1.
>
> Because I'm lazy and no body has sent me anything to put there.

So I try to jump in :-)

What about the following in /usr/src/UPDATING :

---Begin Suggestion---

COMMON ITEMS:

        To build a kernel
        -----------------
        cd /usr/src
        # If you have not already done so, please buildworld here
        # You will also want to update your kernel config file.
	# For IBM-PC compatible systems <arch> is "i386":
	cd /usr/src/sys/<arch>/conf
        # Usually people tend to start with GENERIC from 4.0 and hack
from there.
	cp GENERIC YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
	# Using your favourite editor: Throw out things of <YOUR_KERNEL_HERE>,
	# you don't need and merge in the appropriate lines from LINT.
	cd /usr/src
        make buildkernel KERNEL=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
        make installkernel  KERNEL=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
        # Verify that the new kernel works, it will be installed as
        # /YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
        chflags noschg /kernel
        chflags noschg /YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
        mv /kernel /kernel.old
        mv /YOUR_KERNEL_HERE /kernel
        chflags schg /kernel
	# In order to make the new kernel work, you have to reboot.
	# Don't do this now, if you're in the middle of a
buildworld/installworld
	# after upgrading your system via CVS. See below for CVS.
	reboot

        To rebuild disk /dev entries
        ----------------------------
[snip]
        Except when it doesn't work :-)

        To update your system via CVS (tracking the STABLE-branch)
        # Follow the instructions on
http://www.freebsd.org/support.html#cvs
	# or in /usr/share/doc/handbook/synching.html
	# to download the newest files via CVS
	cd /usr/src
        make buildworld
        # Follow directions to build/install a kernel
	# from above, but DON'T REBOOT NOW
        shutdown now
        <in single user>
        cd /usr/src
        make installworld
        mergemaster
        reboot

<multi-user>

---End Suggestion

And I think there is one line in  "To update from 3.x to 4.0 stable",
which isn't correct (don't know exactly, as I never did this). Watch the
line marked with -->   <-- :

        To update from 3.x to 4.0 stable
        --------------------------------
        <see notes below>                               [3]
        cd /usr/src
        <see notes below>                               [2]
        make buildworld
        <follow directions to build/install a kernel>
        cd /usr/src/sys/modules
        make install
        cd /usr/src/sbin/mknod
        make install
        <follow rebuild disk /dev entries above>        [1]
-->     reboot   <--
        <in single user>
        cd /usr/src
        cd gnu/usr.bin/texinfo/install-info
        make install
        make installworld                               [5]
        mergemaster                                     [4]
        reboot

<multi-user>

This line should be "shutdown now", isn't it? Any further suggestions to
make life of Warner easier?

Ciao
Siegbert