Date:      Sat, 13 Nov 2004 09:19:54 +0100 (CET)
From:      Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@ohoyer.de>
To:        "Butterworth, Thaddaeus (Manpower Contract)" <thad.butterworth@hp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: RDEsktop/VNC questions

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004, Butterworth, Thaddaeus (Manpower Contract) wrote:

>> So, who's using these clients, and how effective have you been finding
>> them?  Any gotchas?  How cool is it?  Do they just plain suck?  And more
>> to the point, which one(s) should I start with on the short list?

<snip>

> I've used the rdesktop client for connecting to a Windows 2003 Server (/usr/ports/net/rdesktop). I wasn't that impressed but then again it could have been a PEBKAC situation. I could not get the screen resolution of the Windoze 2003 server to go anything beyond 640x480 and it looked horribly grainy. Other than that, it did actually connect and allowed me to do all that I needed to. I just couldn't handle the graphic element, which again may have been more a user issue than an issue with the program. Other than that, I have used the Windows RDC programs and they work ok.
>
> Thad

I use rdesktop regularly to administer some of our Win2003 Servers, and
it works well. Special trick is, that I need to hop first on a jumppad,
where an extra NIC is attached to the dedicated management VLAN of the
Win boxes, and then hop on them via X-forwarded rdesktop- works well,
despite that jumppad is a small old crappy Pentium-II, which is also
busy doing some other things...

so:
ssh -X jumppad
rdesktop -g 1024x768 win-server

That shall give you some window in 1024x768, normal is 800x600 in
standard mode. when its smaller, I guess you havent configured the
Graphics driver, or its set to standard VGA. Win (also for remote
connections) sometimes looks after that settings...

HTH
Olaf

--
Olaf Hoyer        ohoyer@ohoyer.de
Fuerchterliche Erlebniss geben zu raten,