Date:      Mon, 26 Nov 2001 21:09:53 +0200
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Steven G. Kargl" <kargl@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Cc:        lioux@FreeBSD.org, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD ports: 1 unfetchable distfiles: lang/f2c (fwd)

"Steven G. Kargl" wrote:

> Maxim Sobolev said:
> > >
> > > PLEASE BACK OUT YOUR CHANGE.  YOU BROKE A PORT
> > > THAT HAS BEEN BUILDING FOR SEVERAL YEARS!
> > >
> > > I am the listed maintainer.  You did not run your
> > > change by me.  Please don't touch my ports.
> >
> > Please calm down. You tone is absolutely inacceptable, especially
> > considering that you posted this message to a public mailing list.
> > Even if Mario did something wrong (not contacted you, the maintainer),
> > pollite notice would do the job much better.
> >

> You must have an unlimited amount of time to work on FreeBSD.

No, I don't :(

> It is unacceptable for someone to break a *maintained port*
> that causes me to waste a half hour of my time to determine
> what the problem was.

Yes, this is highly undesirable, but as we all know Shit Happens[tm]
from time to time, so we have to deal with it intelligently, not by
screaming at each other lake bunch of old ladies. In this case the
problem occured because Mario missed undesirable result of running
automatic WWW cleanup script, which assumed that the `WWW' is the last
line in pkg-descr. As a result WWW and FTP lines were merged into one
long line, which of course confused unfetchable distfiles checker.
There was nothing fatal in that - build of the port wasn't affected.
I've just committed a fix for the problem.

Now think about how wonderful it would be if we were avoided that
public scold.

-Maxim