Date:      Fri, 14 Mar 97 17:55:43 +0100
From:      Jean-Marc Zucconi <jmz@cabri.obs-besancon.fr>
To:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de
Cc:        pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co, obrien@nuxi.com, committers@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gcc-2.7.2.2? Re: ports freeze in 9 1/2 hours

 >> David O'Brien wrote:
 >> >
 >> > I don't think it includes the Linux-alpha bits.
 >> Thanks for pointing this out, I don't remember where I read the Linux
 >> thing, perhaps it was in binutils-2.7, but I'm not sure.
 >>
 >> > I don't think all of f2c is included with g77.  But g77 does use f2c's
 >> > runtime librarires.
 >> >
 >> OK, if g77 makes it in the base distribution, we should move f2c to the
 >> ports tree, like Satoshi suggested.

 > I'm voting strongly against making g77 the default fortran compiler.
 > f2c is far more mature, believe me. And it has a much longer history.

I agree, but It would be nice to have a working g77 port so that we
can benchmark/compare the latest g77 with f2c :-)

 > What were the arguments for g77 ? - sorry I missed the start of this
 > thread.

One big advantage of g77 is that you can use gdb to debug your fortran
code. It also benefits from the gcc improvements.

Jean-Marc
 Jean-Marc Zucconi       Observatoire de Besancon       F 25010 Besancon cedex
                   PGP Key: finger jmz@cabri.obs-besancon.fr