Date:      Mon, 14 Dec 1998 06:54:22 +0100 (CET)
From:      List User <listuser@netspace.net.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org

Newsgroups: freebsd.questions
From: John Matthews <matthews@mail.qtscorp.com>
Subject: PPP Serial I/O hangs (unable to receive)
To: questions
Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc: brian
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 23:43:12 GMT

I am noticing something strange and I wondering if anyone can make any
suggestions to help furhter isolate a problem I'm seeing with the Serial I/O
hanging within PPP.  What I'm noticing is that if I am loading the ppp
interface with a bidirectional traffic load, the serial port will lock
up almost always within 5 to 10 minutes.  It looks like it's on the receive
side only.  PPP will still transmit packets out and I've prooved to myself
that they are getting out.  This also happens with pppd so my guess is that
it's in the kernel sio driver somewhere.  This seems to happen with FreeBSD
2.2.6 as well as the recent 3.0 release.  I'm using an Courier-I ISDN modem
with StarTek 16650 UARTS clocked at 230,400 bps but the problem also ocurrs
with some NS16550AFN UARTS that I have.  I know it's not the hardware because
I can run the DOS based IPROUTE software beautifully on the same hardware
without any problems.  Dos anyone have any suggestions?
				John Matthews