Date:      Tue, 18 Feb 2003 23:08:29 -0600
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@lovett.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: passing arguments to *_DEPENDS

On 02/18/03 18:34, "Kris Kennaway" <kris@obsecurity.org> wrote:
> I'm not sure this sort of thing will work correctly, e.g. if you
> already have pcre installed.

Well, it wouldn't necessarily.. See below..

> If you need to depend on a port that is built with certain nonstandard
> options, the usual solution is to make a slave port of the target port
> that enables those options by default, then depend on it in the usual
> way.

An alternate, and also compatible view is to run a sweep through the ports
tree, ensure that all such optional stuff is controlled by a WITH_* or
WITHOUT_* variable (much needed standardization anyway), and then have
+CONTENTS modified with a new @options:[<opt1[=val1],[opt2=...]] field.

Not a complete idea, mind you.. But one that probably scales better than
creating slave ports for each possible combination.  (I want exim, without
ipv6, with mysql, with openldap2, without postgresql, and without exiscan,
please).

I believe we need to rethink the concept of ports either being thin (minimal
number of dependencies) or thick (maximal dependencies), and work on a
generic optional-dependency system that individual ports may use.

I love using "we" like that.  My excuse, I'm dealing with the abomination
that is libtool, and the hacks around it in the tree :)

-aDe